Visitors have just a few more weeks to view the groundbreaking exhibition Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, closing on June 27, 2019. To provide additional viewing opportunities for visitors, the exhibition will be open the final three Mondays (June 10, 17, and 24), between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., when the Museum is usually closed to the public.
The MFAH is the only venue for this major survey that brings together more than 50 masterworks by one of the most iconic artists in the history of Western art. Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art follows Van Gogh (1853–1890) through four key stages of his career, from early sketches to final paintings.
Few artists left behind as complete a diary of life and work as Van Gogh, whose decade-long career as an artist began when he took up painting in 1881. Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art highlights the artist’s early years in the Netherlands; his luminous period in Paris; his search for light and color in the South of France; and his exploration of nature as a source of enduring inspiration in Saint-Rémy and Auvers.
The exhibition showcases portraits, landscapes, and still lifes drawn primarily from the collections of the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and the Kröller-Müller Museum in Otterlo, the Netherlands.
► Tips for Visiting during the Final Weeks
As this popular exhibition draws to a close, plan your visit in advance for the best experience!
● Get your tickets before you arrive Purchase online or on-site prior to your visit.
● See the exhibition sooner rather than later The volume of guests increases as the closing date draws near.
● Visit on a Tuesday or Wednesday Peak visitation days are Thursday through Sunday.
● Consider your parking options in advance Go to mfah.org/parking for a handy map.
● It’s okay to view the art in the order that works for you Feel free to walk around from gallery to gallery and experience these masterworks in the sequence that suits you best.
● Audio-tour beacons work from two feet away No need to wait for a turn to stand directly in front of each beacon—point your player toward the beacons to trigger the audio content.
● If you’re an MFAH member, bring your membership card Don’t miss out on your free tickets, plus shop and parking discounts. Not a member? Join today!